Dallas, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: If child services takes a child from their mother and the father wants to sign his over to someone else how does he

Child services took the child from their mother and the biological father hasn’t had anything to do with the child since birth and is willing to sign his rights over to someone who has been in the child’s life from day 1 helping raise that child can he do that and how does he go about it

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Parental rights are not independent of each other. Now that thr state has taken custody, he has no rights to sign away. If someone else has helped to care for the child, that person can hire a lawyer to intervene in the juvenile court case

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.