West Palm Beach, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Is there anything I can do re the following circumstance with my divorce?

Is there anything I can do re the following circumstance? For the last 10+ years my husband has worked overtime every week and as a result he has earned anywhere between $15-25 thousand dollars each year on top of his base salary. Now that I have started to fill out the divorce papers he has stopped working all but a few hours of OT and today he informed me he won't be working OT now. He is intentionally choosing to do so because he doesn't want to pay me alimony so he doesn't want to show the extra 15-25 thousand dollars a year. I've been a stay at home mother for 21 years and have been married to him for 26 years

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Mr Eric Klein
Mr Eric Klein
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Rather than go into the complexities of the law, I will say that he will not get away with it so long as you consult with a seasoned divorce attorney ASAP. Good luck!

Lynette Silon-Laguna agrees with this answer

Lynette Silon-Laguna
Lynette Silon-Laguna pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Hello! Simply put, the court will look at what he has earned in the past and whether he is intentionally not working additional hours to lower his income in expectation of divorce. Unfortunately, since we do not practice in West Palm Beach, we cannot help you with this. We do wish you the best!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.