Duncanville, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: i filed for Texas divorce myself and tried to serve my husband through cert. mail

The postal service attempted to serve his paperwork to my address rather than his. I called his post office and they said it must have gotten forwarded because he hadn’t checked his mail in months so she put him on the moved list! I had my mail forwarded to my new address and she said it must have automatically been sent to my address. What do I do with it? Do I sign for it so that it doesn’t get lost?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amir Tavakkoli
Amir Tavakkoli
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Usually you have to serve the other person in person through a private process server or constable, unless you get permission from a judge to serve them via certified mail. It doesn’t sound like you do here. So you would need to serve them in person by a process server. If certified mail service was allowed by judge, you still can’t serve him yourself, a process server has to do it and file a return of service with court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.