Wantagh, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: I was living with my boyfriend in his house. He passed away in the end of September of 2020. His father has asked me to

Leave but I have no where to go and have been looking for a place but my finances are very bad and COVID isn’t helping me either as far as finding a place. He just left me a text saying he would be changing the locks in March 15 of 2021 and will restrict my entff egg y to the house. What can I do? Can he do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Condolences on your loss. As you may know there have been numerous moratoriums on evictions as a result of Covid pandemic. However, even without the impacts of Covid, to legally evict a tenant or licensee, a judgment of eviction must first be obtained. If you are concerned you may be illegally evicted, you should consider retaining counsel to put your late boyfriend's family on notice that you know your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.