Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Nebraska

Q: I live in Nebraska and as a result of losing my job am behind on child support. Can my ex withhold contact with my chils

I lost my job and haven’t paid child support since June. I will, however get caught up. But my ex is not allowing me to even communicate with my child via text or phone call. If I can’t reach my child I am to call her boyfriend who then determines wether or not my wanting to speak or text with my daughter is justified. I just want to be able to speak or even text with my daughter. Is any of this legal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The Court doesn't tie child support and parenting time. If you file a contempt action, the Court can sanction the other party for denying parenting time due to non-payment of support.

Keep in mind, that the Court can also sanction you for not paying child support if the other party can show that your inability to pay was willful. Thus, you would want to make sure you were doing everything you can to at least make some type of partial payment each month if you want to also avoid being found in contempt and sanctioned.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.