Hillsboro, OR asked in Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: I went a property next to the largest homeless camp in hillsboro oregon . Who and how do I sue for property value loss

I own neighboring property to a large homeless camp in Washington county oregon. I've been told my property value had deceased 1000's and 1000's of dollars. Would there be a attorney to help me file suit and get paid a percentage of winnings? It's a very high profile piece of property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer
  • Salem, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I understand your obvious frustration. Clearly, you have lost perceived value of your property due to the conditions of the surrounding property. It could be thousands of dollars. Who to sue? Who is responsible for the loss you feel you have encountered? If you think the City could do more to protect your home and/or property value, and they are negligent, perhaps you might start there. Before filing suit with the City, you may need to file a timely Tort Claim. If it is the people living in the homeless camp, they might be the best to sue because there conduct might be causing the loss of value. You need to file a lawsuit against a responsible party that has the funds to either settle or pay a Judgment. It may be difficult to find an attorney to file an action for you on a contingency basis, where the attorney does not get paid until you do. If the neighborhood and/or community cleans up and works together, perhaps your home and/or property value will spike back up. If you want to file a lawsuit, you should seek the advice of an attorney right away to avoid missing any deadlines and/or the applicable statute of limitations. You can contact the Oregon State Bar for referral if you have trouble finding an attorney by calling the Oregon State Bar: Telephone: 503-684-3763 or toll-free in Oregon at 800-452-7636.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.