Asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: What happens if I divorce my husband, without my green card being issued?

I came to the US on a tourist visa and wanted to stay here for a few weeks to visit my boyfriend, before my visa expired we got married because we never wanted to spend a day without each other again. We filed the paperwork and it came back because we did not know that we had to include about $2,000. I am now in the US for 3 years and my husband keeps continuing making excuses why he can not pay the money right now. We have the money he just keeps spending it on himself. I have the feeling he wants to keep me without papers so I can not drive or go to work, so he has control over me. What would my options be if I divorce him? I would like to go to college in the US and I have a lady that would help me pay for the paperwork and let me live with her until I can pay my own bills.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: You may qualify to file on your own. I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Agnes Jury agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.