San Antonio, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: Is there a way to verify income of self employed, He is currently 11K behind on child support for 4 kids.

My ex took me to court 4 years ago and reduced my child support by almost half, because he no longer worked a corporate job but instead became self employed. Fast forward to now... He is currently over 11K behind in child support even at the reduced amount. And trying to have the amount reduced yet again, or just not pay it. His wife is a lawyer with a well paying corporate job. So he claims she is the only one making income, and her income amount is unusable for child support purposes.

My question is ... He recently leased an additional 10K sq foot building for his company, and I believe he would have had to fill out some kind of credit/ lease application on this, showing an amount of income the business makes in order to qualify, would I be able to get this application and use to prove his business income? Would it require court, or could it be done through OAG?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amir Tavakkoli
Amir Tavakkoli
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: OAG is unlikely to do that much work. You should probably get a private attorney. Those records will need to be subpoenaed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.