Tucson, AZ asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Does "the court reserves to all matters" mean I have to go back to court for my house after a divorce?

I got divorced 3 years ago.

The "final judgement" document that I have states, in relation to my house, that "the court reserves to all matters relating to the house equitable distribution, assets and debts

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In Florida, a final judgment that "reserves" on a particular issue means that the court has not made a decision on that issue. So yes, you need to return to court to resolve the issue unless you can reach an agreement directly with your former spouse.

Lynette Silon-Laguna
Lynette Silon-Laguna pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Hello! If the court reserves in a final judgment on an asset, alimony, or attorney fees, for example, that means that there has not been a decision made as to the outcome of the reserved matter and that it will or can be litigated or agreed upon in the future. You would have to motion the court to hear the matter and rule on it or come to an agreement and request a court order incorporating the agreement. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.