Three Rivers, MI asked in Family Law, Tax Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: My children's father the non-custodial parent filed for my children at tax time even though they don't live with him

I'm worried he's going to get all of their stimulus money plus the child tax credit that will soon to come out every month he owes at least 5,000 in back child support all three of our children live with me full time I'm worried that he's going to be getting all of their money and I'll be left with nothing for me and my children I want to see if anyone can help me with any advice on how to go about fixing this issue everyone I've talked to just gives me the runaround I just need some answers on how to go about fixing this because I'm a full-time mom of three children their father does not help support them as much as he should he will get a couple packs of diapers and has only gave me $800 in an entire year he's kept their previous stimulus money 1st and 2nd checks that have came I just really need some legal advice.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Is there a child support order? If so, you may need to address some of this with the friend of the court. You may also need to make a motion in court about the stimulus money and to make clear who can claim the children for taxes.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.