Ventura, CA asked in Criminal Law and Tax Law for California

Q: My ex spouse used my social security number on her 1099s. What can I do?

My ex spouse receives payments from a company that pays both of us. I just learned that she used my social security number for her payments. We are currently in court for another matter. Through discovery I was able to see years of her 1099s. All of hers have my social security number instead of hers, and in some cases my EIN. I alerted the company who was shocked to learn this and is taking steps to rectify. My ex has her taxes professionally done and has ignored/allowed this error for 9 years. Do I contact the IRS or is there any action I can take against her?

For clarity - I am in pro per and there are no children involved.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: if you are in court you must have a lawyer.

direct that question to him/her.

if you have kids, you probably want to consider carefully whether you want any potential criminal action against her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.