Lititz, PA asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Pennsylvania

Q: Charged with 1543A in 2019. this year trying to charge me with 2nd 1543B from a DUI in '09& 1543B in 14'. How?

License currently suspended indefinitely for 1533D failure to respond to traffic citation for unpaid fines but they are trying to say its DUI suspended. How is that possible when I havent gotten any new DUI Charges and in 2019 i got pulled over and it wasn't dui suspended and i only received the 1543A charge. And even the suspension for that is over. It literally just lists the unpaid fines on my restoration requirements letter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You need to get a lawyer immediately. The law says that if your license was suspended for a DUI it will always be suspended until and unless you get your license reinstated. It doesn’t matter if the DUI is one year old or 30 years old. If you never got your license back then you are looking at a driving under a DUI suspension charge. There is a mandatory minimum of 60 to 90 days in the county prison and it could be up to six months if you have three or more. The reason you need a lawyer is you need someone to look at your driving record to determine if you were eligible to get your license restored. 99% of the time, If your license is restored by the time you go to court, the police officer typically does not want to put you in jail or take your license again. If you’re not eligible to get your license back, you have to hope that the officer and the judge will agree to amend it down to non-jail time. If that doesn’t work then you would hopefully be eligible for house arrest. Go onto Penndot website and order a license restoration requirements letter and speak with an attorney to see what you need to do to get your license back and if you can get it back. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.