Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Louisiana

Q: I was at mom’s. She called cops and said someone broke into her house. I have a key.

Cops told me she will press charges tomorrow if anything broken or damaged. She doesn’t even live there. She illegally evicted me 10 days ago. Never served an eviction notice. She gifted me her home, got pissed at the world one day, told the cops that she allowed me to stay there while she was away on a trip and came down from Montana, where she bought her new home, and had the cops make me leave and couldn’t get much when I left. I was told I’d be arrested for remaining after being forbidden if I didn’t leave. I been living there, full time, for four months and part time for roughly 14 months. We have been taking care of the place, fixing everything, and spent money getting it ready for our chicken farm. She tells us to “get moved and grow.” We did and she tells us we have to leave. Everyone broke the law but me. We were told we could go feed the chickens but we needed to call cops daily. We did. They got pissed at us. Dept is on her side. Please help

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you don't have an act of sale, then she has not gifted the property to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.