Lake Worth, FL asked in Collections and Small Claims for Florida

Q: I did some work on a yacht ($300) and found out the owner sold it and never paid me. What can I do? Is it even worth it?

I found out Friday afternoon the owner had an offer on his boat and was closing the following Monday. I told the yacht broker about the situation and he said to email him the invoice ($300) and he would take care of it at the closing. Of course he never did. Is there anything I can do? Is it even worth it? Thanks! ... Also can I file a complaint against the yacht broker?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You may sue whomever you did the work for in small claims court, and you could first try sending a demand letter stating you will file in small claims court if not paid. Whether it's worth your time is a question only for yourself to answer. You'd have to find out from the Clerk's Office how to file (which should be available on-line), then file and pay the court costs (which you would be awarded if you prevail), then appear for a pretrial conference at the same time as dozens of other litigants, so that could be a good couple hours, then the judge will probably order you to appear for a mediation, at which you and the defendant speak to a mediator in an attempt to work it out, then if not settled, appear later for your trial before the judge (appearances being on-line if still during the Covid closure period). Also, if whomever you did the work for happens to be a corporation or LLC, rather than a person, you'd have to find out the name of that entity and find the name of that entity's Registered Agent (who gets served the papers) on

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.