Saint Louis, MO asked in Landlord - Tenant and Medical Malpractice for Missouri

Q: I was wondering if I can only sew the property manager company and not the owner of the building do to harassment

As well as get out of my lease early if needed. I've been the only tentant apporched about smoking on my back porch outside. There was no other tentants told about smoking outside only inside the apartments. Which didn't start happening until My rent wasn't paid that month. Which was out of my control do to the fact that section 8 pays my rent in full and whenever the building switched property management companies. The company didn't do their job at getting everything switch over with the section 8 housing authority office. I also have a question about medical malpractice if possible, it to much to type out.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but it there has been a breach of your written lease, the proper defendant would be the lessor, not the property management company. Harrassment on account of smoking or a dislike of a tenant is not a cognizable cause of action in Missouri. If you were being discriminated on account of membershipi in a protected class, such as race, religion, or national origin, then your options would be different.

Ronald J. Eisenberg

Schultz & Associates LLP

640 Cepi Drive, Suite A

Chesterfield, MO 63005

Direct: (636) 733-6647

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.