Abingdon, MD asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: Is my daughters father responsible for all 18 years of child support never paid

I did not know of his whereabouts until roughly 1 year ago. Now that I know where he is I filed a contempt case as he never paid the court ordered child support (court ordered in 2001). Is he responsible for all 18 years? I see conflicting information regarding the statute of limitations.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Child support due under a divorce decree (either as ordered by the court or agreed to by the parties as part of an agreement that is incorporated into the judgment of divorce) may be enforced and reduced to a separate monetary judgment up to 12 years following the date the support payment became due under the judgment. This is because judgments may be enforced for 12 years. So, as of the date you filed your motion or petition to enforce the past due child support arrears and reduce the arrears to judgment, the court can go back only 12 years prior to the date you filed and calculate all support payments due from that prior date through the date that support terminated (e.g., the date your child turned 18 or completed high school if she turned 18 before graduation). Those amounts are then reduced to a separate monetary judgment, and that new judgment is now enforceable for a period of 12 years (and may be renewed an additional 12 years before the initial 12 year term expires). You may also be entitled to request pre-judgment interest on the unpaid support arrears, at a rate of 6% per year from the date each payment fell due. After the date judgment is entered, you are entitled to post-judgment interest at 10% per year. The Family Law article also provides that you may request an additional judgment for attorneys fees and costs for having to enforce the child support order. It is important to remember that a statute of limitations defense is an "affirmative" defense, that is waived if the defendant fails to raise it in his first responsive pleading to your motion to enforce. Therefore, when you file, feel free to request ALL the arrears going back even further than 12 years, and if the defendant fails to timely raise the defense of the statute of limitations, then you can ask the court to deem the defense waived and enter judgment for the full amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.