Alexandria, VA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Virginia

Q: I have joint custody and pay child support. The mother is withholding the kids. Can I put child support in escrow?

On 1/25/2021, the court ruled on joint custody and child support. The mother found out I am in a new relationship and now refuses to adhere to the legal agreement and is demanding I bring her everything in my home I bought our kids. She never fully complied with the order; I do not know where she lives, and I don't have social security numbers, all of which the judge said she had to turn over. Is there a way to pay my support through escrow until she complies with the custody agreement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It's a good theory but ultimately not allowed - support and visitation are two separate issues in the eyes of the court. Support should still be paid as ordered, and a show-cause may be appropriate for the violation of the visitation order. Speak with a local family law attorney about how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.