Peoria, IL asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Illinois

Q: How do add a relative to your home, so they can continue living their if one should pass away?

I live with my mother, helping her with bills and running errands for her since she had been on oxygen, she just had a stroke and is now in the hospital. I am one of 3 sons. One brother has legally been left in charge of her finances, the other in charge of her medical. She was wanting to put me on the house so me and my kids could continue to live in the home should something happen to her. She still has a mortgage on the home. What is the best way for us to go about getting me added to the property?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles E. Hutchinson
Charles E. Hutchinson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wilmette, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: To say which is "best" is subjective and would depend on many factors. However, the three most common ways to accomplish the goal of leaving you the house are:

1. Adding your name to the title.

2. She can leave it to you in her will.

3. She can put it in a trust and name you as the trustee and lone beneficiary of the house.

These options potentially result in a tax obligation which would need to be addressed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.