Mountain View, CA asked in Uncategorized for California

Q: Tragic death occurred because the family members complied and trusted the mental health court and county's policies

I am reaching out to Justia lawyer network to see if anyone can advise on how to navigate the law pertaining a wrongful death of a special needs adult. The timing of the my partner step son being released from the main jail and his death from a hit and run is highly suspect. He was killed in a hit and run from the main jail the same night he was released. The county know this special needs individual very well and knew what they were doing. This is a very complex and sadly most likely too common issue. Any advise on what next steps/ type of lawyer to speak with on this type of preventable tragedy will be of great support . I understand this is limited brief on a heavy topic so advise on where to look will do just fine.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jackie Marie Howard
Jackie Marie Howard
  • Roseville, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: My condolences for your loss. Consult with a litigation attorney who is experiences with bringing cases against the county/government (there are special rules and privileges that apply) in the area the incident occurred. You may need to interview several litigators to find the right one, but your efforts will be wisely spent and those you interview may have referrals for you, too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.