Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Florida

Q: I was released from Florida's doc on 6/2/2019 and anyone released from Florida's doc qualifies for the prr act

for 3 years upon release if I was to commit a crime that is on Florida's prr act in South Carolina within 3 years could South Carolina use Florida's prr act to sentence me to more time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tom Murphy
Tom Murphy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Well, if you have not done so already, do NOT commit any new crimes. That said, Florida's PRR statute will not cause you to serve more time in South Carolina for a crime committed in South Carolina. However, South Carolina may have a statute that will enhance a crime committed there based on your history. You need to speak with an attorney in South Carolina.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.