Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Mississippi

Q: I need to know if someone can take me to court over a car that is in my name that I was allowing to make the payments on

This family member had paid a year worth in advance of payments and still have two months remaining when I took the car back because she refused to get insurance in her name so it was in my name and we had a agreement a handshake agreement that no one wants to drive the vehicle besides her and I have witnesses to this but she allowed her boyfriend to drive it and he ended up getting rear ended in something happened with my insurance that the car that they were driving was not insured and now he is threatening to take me to court for the remaining two months and the ticket

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Mississippi attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It's difficult to predict what could happen in this situation because it is a somewhat unconventional way to sell or transfer a car. There are some loose ends here in terms of ownership, insurance, and handshake agreements - it's difficult to predict what could happen. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.