Palmer, AK asked in Employment Law for Alaska

Q: Can an employee say willful disregard for employers imterest after employee worked over 48 hrs every week for 6 years .

I worked 80hrs week b4 1st suspension, and I worked 14 1/2 hrs when they suspended pending term. Both times I showed up I was just late due to oversleeping. Was exhausted.this happened after I told my regional I needed to speak with him it was an emergency that the job I transferred to wasn’t what I signed up for. I was going to file harassment on ASM and my assistant and the former manager. Plus hostile work place. He never came to talk to me but did come and talked to my bosses. Who basocally set me up. I jd to be there all the time. I have every hour I’ve worked for them since I started and always over 48 wk. for almost 6 yrs. since I left they investigated former manager and term him. But I should never have been reprimanded for being over worked filling in for everybody who just didn’t show up. And NOT get in trouble. Plus unpaid wages, insurance dispute. They bank on people being broke and I need help making them pau for there corporate bs

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: As long as you are being properly compensated for the hours you are working, there is generally no limit on the hours an employer can ask you to work. If you are late to work for oversleeping, your employer can discipline you. If you have unpaid wages, as you mentioned, you should contact an employment attorney in your area to discuss your situation in more detail and the options available to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.