Henrico, VA asked in Child Custody for Virginia

Q: I share 50/50 legal custody and have visitation in VA, I recently remarried. Can my wife to get kid info on my behalf?

My new wife has been around the kids since 2018. Until recently my ex included her in everything and authorized her to full access. We were all friendly happy coparents until marriage- now my ex is hiring a lawyer to keep my wife away from the kids who LOVE her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tysons Corner, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I understand your question to be whether you can authorize your new wife to access your children's information on your behalf. You can certainly add your wife as another person who can receive information or contact the school or doctor's office, for example, but the children's mother can object. Legally, only you and the mother are entitled to this information. If she no longer wants to grant access to your wife, you will need to take care of getting information or setting appointments on your own. Unless there is a court order to the contrary, you should still be able to list your wife as a designated emergency contact or someone authorized to pick up the children from school or other activities. It sounds like something has happened that triggered this reaction. It's worth trying to figure out what it was -- in a calm and neutral fashion -- to see whether it may indicate a deeper issue or future problems requiring court intervention.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.