Vincentown, NJ asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: How can I help my parents avoid foreclosure if one party refuses to cooperate & has caused liens against the property?

My father tricked/intimidated my mother into getting a 2nd mortgage in her name alone. They are both on the deed. He had the bills go to him at another location then stopped paying. He refused to agree to any solutions (sell, refinance, etc) & has liens against him on the home. He won't provide any paperwork to my mother to resolve and due to covid, we are unable to find another suitable living space & don't know what her obligations are to walk away. The home requires more repairs than she can afford, which he won't allow anyway. How do we get help? We tried a foreclosure lawyer but he wouldn't help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ

A: Hello,

Your mother should reach out to an attorney that would work with her. She may have options, but trying to tell you to tell her what they are based on the little information you provided is not likely to be helpful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.