Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for New Hampshire

Q: For a minor dog bite in New Hampshire how do I go about filing a lawsuit? I did go to the hospital

It required no stitches, but it was bad enough that I will have a permanent scar for the rest of my life. I went to the hospital, they cleaned it and gave me antibiotics. I had to revisit the ER a couple weeks later because it wasn’t getting any better, but eventually healed up after a long time. It’s on my upper leg the scar will be there for ever for sure. I was walking home from the store pushing my daughter in her stroller & a huge German shepherd cane rushing out of a yard and was heading for my 3 year old at full speed. I stepped in front of her & the dog bit me super hard and ran off only to come charging at me again. I was able to avoid getting bit the second time thankfully. The home owner was out side wartching it happen as well. The physical injuries could of been a lot worse. But the mental injuries is what is still haunting me. My daughter is terrified of dogs and will be the rest of her life. For me each time I see a dog I’m takin aback to that day.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Nicholson
Neil Nicholson
  • Concord, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: The process to file a lawsuit in NH can be found by looking at the NH Judicial Branch website. The rules in Superior Court can be found here:

NH dog bite law is favorable towards victims. The facts you provide support that you have a viable damages claim and your recovery could depend on whether or not the dog owner has recoverable assets or insurance to cover yoru claim and your daughter's claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.