Eastpointe, MI asked in Education Law for Michigan

Q: Dear Sir or Madam, Q = The announcement of a High School that they are changing their grading scales midstream.

My son's school announced last year (before his Jr. year) that they would begin weighting courses on a 5.0 scale but would not retroactively weight the prior years for students (he took adv. & excell. courses then - as school pushed). Rather than begin this new system for the in-coming freshmen only & those thereafter, and refusing to make a cogent grading scale for a student's duration in High School, there will be a hybrid transcript of 5.0/ 4.0. The school will only attach a letter of explaination with transcripts, which may be considered by colleges, however the scale can not be converted when applied to college admission algorithms. My son is a consistently straight A student who presses for difficult courses. His GPA will, on a 5.0 scale, now be cumulatively an aprx. 4.0 rather than aprx 4.2+ as it should have been if all prior classes were weighted. This could very well be the difference between a scholarship and no scholarship at many universities, or acceptance and rejection.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your concern sounds to be more properly presented to your district's school board. I can appreciate your concern as a parent, but I'm not sure it's of a legal nature.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.