Lakeport, CA asked in Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: Oklahoma Co-ownership Forced Sale of Property

4 family entities own equal quarter of inherited home/property. Three parties want to be bought out or sell the property entirely. What can we do if the fourth party doesn’t want to do either? They are also living at the property for free, other than their portion of taxes and maintenance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You can file a partition action. It is a fairly easy procedure. That suit causes the land to be divided among the parties and if it can't be divided, it is sold and the proceeds are divided among the owners. Each owner has rights to purchase the property at the sale if they wish. Contact a probate attorney or litigation attorney who can advise you on the procedure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.