Dallas, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: is putting a shed on property Consideried altering property

our land lord told us we could move a shed on to property before we rented it 6 months later he gave us 30 days to leave for altering property it states in lease must have written authorizion to alter property I didn't know that was a alteration

It also state he must give written reason for violation and give us a chance to fix it he only gave us hand written 30 days to leave told my wife he could not afford to fix house the bathfloor is rotten the toilet and tub are falling g through floor

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Assuming the shed is not permanently attached to the land, it would not normally be considered an alteration to the property, but it's possible there may be some other lease violation (such as violating HOA restrictions).

In the meantime, if the house has serious maintenance issues that the landlord can't or won't fix, you may be better off moving anyway.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.