Louisville, KY asked in Estate Planning and Mergers & Acquisitions for Louisiana

Q: my dad passed away almost 5 months ago and my step mom mailed 2 forms for me to sign and have notarized.

its power of attorney and act of donation form

1 Lawyer Answer
James Scott Ruel
James Scott Ruel
  • Madisonville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You should definitely consult an attorney to be sure that signing these documents serves your best interests. You will be donating something to her that is yours- so be careful! Power of attorney let’s her act on your behalf- so be extra careful and be sure that is something you want to do.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.