Flint, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: Emergency Ex-Parte suspending parent time. Do you have to always notify the other party?

This was done and the party was not notified to be able to respond and there was no just cause for it. Estranged Wife was just mad and did this. Motion for hearing dismissed bt Plaintiff. Husband found out by looking on line at court records as he didn't get his son as he was supposed to. Why would he have no right to respond to any alligation to what she said to a court judge?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Ex parte orders, when granted, are entered without notice to the other party. They are, by their nature, emergency motions.

Once entered, you should receive a copy of the order, which has notice requirement language explaining how to object. Without going too far into the logistics, you need to timely file an objection and notice it with the court for a hearing date, then serve the other party with that notice.

I'm not sure what you mean by "motion for hearing dismissed by Plaintiff"; a party doesn't dismiss motions. If the court is saying that the motion now comes too late, you may need to file a different motion explaining the delay (i.e., never received order). BUT, before you go down that road, every party in a family case has an obligation to have their proper address on file. If you moved and did not notify the Friend of the Court, and the order was sent to some other address, the fault lies with you on that.

Philip G. Vera
Philip G. Vera pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Utica, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: An ex parte order is entered without a hearing and used if there's a potential for irreparable harm if an immediate order is not entered. However you must receive notice of the ex parte order and a proof of service must be entered with the court in order for it to be enforceable. You would have 14 days to object to the order after you are served. If you are not served, the order is technically not enforceable since you have not gotten notice.

If you are served and no objection is filed within 14 days, the order automatically becomes an order of the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.