Milton, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: i’m 17, i need to get out of this house. can i legally leave and live with someone else against my parents wishes?

my step mom and dad can be physically or emotionally abusive. i help out so much but still get treated like trash. i’m so emotionally drained and i can’t live here anymore. they cause frequent panick or anxiety attacks for me and it’s getting to the point where i’m severely depressed. can i leave and stay with a friend? or do i have to wait until i’m 18 because they will call the police on me if i leave.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Please reach out to a trusted adult or other relative. It can be a teacher, guidance counselor, school principal or administrator, clergy member, friend's parent, doctor, or someone. If you are being abused, you can also call the abuse hotline in Florida. That will cause the Department of Children and Families to become involved in your matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.