Columbia, SC asked in Divorce for South Carolina

Q: My husband wants a divorce. He has moved out of the house. What shall I do?

He has been gone for six months but he has agreed to continue to pay the mortgage and our car payments. I suspect infidelity but I don't have proof. What will be the right approach for me in this matter

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: The right approach will depend a lot on what your goals are. Because the two of you are living separately from each other now, you could file an action for separate support and maintenance with the Family Court, regardless of whether you have proof of adultery. A lawyer experienced with divorces can best advise you on what the best course of action is to accomplish your goals.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.