Elyria, OH asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: whi is it im paying child support for an adult whos mom clames he is disabled when he can do everything for himself

my child is 23 i pay child support for him his mother says he is dis abled when i have pictures that he gose to the gym is able to walk himself and feed and use the bathroom on his own but yet i still pay child support for him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Good question. Maybe its time to see a divorce lawyer to discuss the filing of an application with the court for termination of your child support obligation? Under the law, there is a specific definition of disabled applicable to a termination of child support matter. If presented properly, the burden of proof is on your ex to prove that your son meets the definition - but if you have specific proofs otherwise... you will have a strong argument to bring it to an end.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.