Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Do I have to respond to the detective reaching out to me about this investigation?

My boyfriend and I filed an incident report about my ex boyfriend chasing and hitting us with his car and I don’t wish to further the proceedings how do I go about it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Colleen Kasperek
Colleen Kasperek
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Best to inform the detective that you do not wish to proceed any further with the case. If your ex has been arrested, it gets a little more complicated as resources have been expended. If you gave a sworn verbal or written statement, law enforcement or the prosecutor may pressure you, especially if your ex has a lengthy criminal record. They may even threaten you with filing a false police report or with perjury. So, don't try to change your story of what happened. Instead, insist on completing a Waiver of Prosecution. As a victim, you do have rights. If it gets too difficult to remove yourself from the case, hire a lawyer to speak on your behalf. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.