Charlottesville, VA asked in Child Support for Virginia

Q: I owe over 14,000 in child support arrears and our kids are all over 19. Can i get it reduced or waived?

Most of the arrears that i owe is because i was out of work because i could not afford to work. The first couple of years that i paid child support my bring home checks after taxes and child support was deducted i only brought home $0.14 a week. Is there anything i can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun
  • Tysons Corner, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: A court cannot grant you relief from an arrearage in child support. It is very important to make sure you making at least some contribution to the debt so you are not held in contempt of court. If your wages are being garnished, there are limits to the amount that can be withheld by law. An attorney in your area who has experience with child support should be able to review the existing order to make sure the right amount is being withheld. The attorney may also be able to help you negotiate a different payment plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.