Manhattan Beach, CA asked in Estate Planning, Personal Injury, Elder Law and Wrongful Death for California

Q: Can attorney for deceased mother be relieved by (uninvolved) uncle if daughter refuses release him?

Attorney for mother who suffered abuse and injury that led to death requested that court relieve him from duty and was denied. The daughter who brought the case refuses to release him. Attorney then contacted the uncle and something was discussed. We were just informed by attorney that he successfully was dismissed.

Is it possible that the attorney somehow got the unscrupulous uncle to sign paperwork to release him from case?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: Why would you want an attorney to continue to work for you or your mother despite that attorney clearly wishing to resign? How zealous do you think that attorney will be for your cause if you are forcing him to perform against his will? Slavery comes to mind.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.