Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for New Hampshire

Q: What should I do? I was arrested in 2011 and just vacated my warrant and set new hearing date.

I was arrested 10 years ago in New Hampshire for DUI and possession of marijuana. I was in the middle of moving out-of-state at the time, being a young and dumb 22 year old I left anyway without notifying the court or explaining to them my situation. Subsequently, I had a bench warrant placed out for my arrest so I was unable to get a license in Colorado, where I now reside. Recently, I have got married to my wife who I help raise my two autistic step-sons. I am also enrolled in university. I mailed the district court in Laconia, New Hampshire a motion to vacate default/warrant on 4/16. Which they did and entered a plea of Not Guilty and set a new virtual hearing date for August. I am trying to decide if I should change my plea to guilty or wait for prosecutor to contact me, but really need a professional opinion in navigating this situation. I don't want to lose my financial aid or scholarships as these are the only ways I have to afford college. Also can I get the pot charge dropped?

1 Lawyer Answer
Albert Hansen
Albert Hansen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Kennebunk, ME
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You should definitely hire a lawyer. Feel free to call me at (207) 467-3767 for a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.