Auburn Hills, MI asked in Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: Hi My parents 180 day entry on green card will be done in May.due to Covid in India and health can they travel in July

Both parents are over 70 years with heart and diabetic can they postpone travel till July?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If your parents want to stay longer than their authorized period right now then they should consider applying to extend their status (form I-539). If they stay longer without permission they will start accruing "unlawful presence" which will have negative consequences for them. However, if they have a 10 year visa now and their application to extend their stay is denied then their 10 year visa will be automatically cancelled and they may have a harder time getting a new one. I would recommend discussing the details of their situation with an immigration attorney before applying to extend. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.