Rockmart, GA asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: My 89 yr old mother passed away in January without a will she owed some credit cards but there is not enough to pay them

The only real assets she had was her home and a small bank account both of which also have my sister's name on them. How should we proceed with probate and not being able to pay the creditors? We are in Douglas County Georgia. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Probate would be a very bad mistake. Depending on the title to the house and the bank signature card, probably no action is the best course. An Affidavit of Heirship may be needed. Get the counsel of a competent attorney before you do anything.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.