Grand Rapids, MI asked in Child Custody, DUI / DWI and Family Law for Michigan

Q: My EX wife had full custody of kids can I take full custody from her if she get 4th DUI?

EX wife history, losing first kids, losing license for 15yrs, 3 DUI, 17 yrs ago. After 20 years marriage, witnessed her badly many mental ill, she was fine for 17 years perfect no drugs no alcohol, beautiful loving woman. 2016 she was giving new mental drugs and I don’t know what happened to her this time. she changes medications on average 2-4 year. her last medication made her snapped completely, literally became evil, dark, lair, and so angry can’t stand me or feel me home. She made big problems the last year lived together, set me up, hide my new lease to sign, We end evicted because of that, went to shelter, filed divorce. She was out of range literally Crazy. She laid about me to court said I beat her, abuse, pulled hair, smacked my one year old daughter. took advantage of my name and made me look so evil. She abuses Amphetamine, drink drive with kids, 4 days no sleep. If she go to jail can I take full custody, I never went to court, she had full custody. Thank you and please

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: What does your judgment of divorce say about legal custody? If you don't have joint legal custody, then if she went to jail, it's possible for the children to be placed in the care of someone else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.