Atlanta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: Plaintiff dismiss case. of eviction/ monies owed. Illegally evicted me then put a balance on my credit. what can i do?

Case was dismissed August 2020, My lease was not up until Sept 2020. I started to move my things to a new apt and when i returned that Sunday the locks were changed. I had not turn in the keys to the residence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You may have a claim for wrongful eviction (lockout), conversion (keeping your items locked inside), breach of contract (your lease had not expired), trespass, and/or negligence.

You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible to schedule a consultation.

The lawyer may be able to write a demand letter and obtain a settlement before a lawsuit is necessary.

You can contact me at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.