Portageville, MO asked in Social Security for Missouri

Q: Are there any pro bono laywers to help woth disability overpayments?

There is an overpayment they keep trying to stop my payments to pay back. When i moved 5 years ago to missouro from tennessee all of the sudden there was over payment but never have i ever recieved one unless it was when my mother was payee for me and said nothing. No one is giving me answers on when where or how. They sent me a request for waiver but i dont have answers to fill it out or how to fill it out. Please can someone help me. I have 2 children to take care of i cant lose this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: I would suggest contacting Legal Aid because they may have an attorney on staff or a volunteer attorney who can assist you with this. Try to collect any letters or notices you have gotten from Social Security about the overpayment they say that you owe.

A waiver of the overpayment is usually given if you can show that the overpayment was not your fault and that you cannot afford to pay it back.

If you don’t have the original notice from Social Security that tells you about the overpayment and explains why they think they overpaid you then you should contact Social Security to get a copy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.