Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Missouri on
Q: Are there any pro bono laywers to help woth disability overpayments?

There is an overpayment they keep trying to stop my payments to pay back. When i moved 5 years ago to missouro from tennessee all of the sudden there was over payment but never have i ever recieved one unless it was when my mother was payee for me and said nothing. No one is giving me answers on... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Apr 28, 2021

I would suggest contacting Legal Aid because they may have an attorney on staff or a volunteer attorney who can assist you with this. Try to collect any letters or notices you have gotten from Social Security about the overpayment they say that you owe.

A waiver of the overpayment is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: Can you be sued for debts when your only income is social security

I’m contemplating filing bankruptcy. I’m on social security and this is my only income. I live in a mobile home that is paid for and no type of savings or stocks. I have unsecured debts and a vehicle repossession already.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Mar 16, 2021

Yes. You can be sued for any reason. Collecting on that suit is an entirely different matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: I’m in over my head with debt and considering chapter 7 in Missouri. My husband and I are both on social security disab

All debt is unsecured. We own a mobile home and the lot, also 3 vehicles- newest is a 2005 pickup with 300,000 miles and the other two aren’t drivable. Will we be able to use our stimulus check to make home repairs? Also, can we also use the funds to pay the attorney fees?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Mar 13, 2021

Yes. You will.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: I was born sick in a hotel room we moved in to the home when I was 2 days old and 2 days later I went to The hospital

So I don’t have a birth certificate and want to get a birth certificate from Kansas City Missouri Jackson county but I can’t afford it

Rick  Davis
Rick Davis answered on Sep 8, 2020

You posted your question on a site that features Texas lawyers. You need to contact an attorney in Missouri.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Missouri on
Q: I am 65 and have been on SS Disability since 2007. At age 66, can I simply move my monthly income to SS?

Going on SS would avoid all the reports and annual reviews required on Disability. It would be much easier to be on SS. But in doing so, I do not want to lose any financial amounts. My monthly Disability pay is $2,560. I do not want to lose any of this amount if I go on straight SS rather than... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2019

Contact your local Social Security office. As your payments are about the same (unless you have an offset for a workers compensation or other disability plan coverage) I don't see why you couldn't, except --and you want to ask this--if you are on OASDI, then transition at 70 would that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Construction Law, Contracts and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: Does You Guys Law Firm Take LawSuits AgainSt The SoCial SerVices In The State Of Missouri In JasPer CounTy MissOuri
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 7, 2019

This is more of a question-answer board. Try reposting your question with some additional details and hopefully an attorney could pick it up to provide some direction after seeing the basis of a suit you're contemplating.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury, Public Benefits and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: This is about a close friend who is on disability. Can you help?

A close friend got a letter stating they found a 7 year old mistake on his disability records and they are demanding he repay back around $100,000 in 30 days. Does he have a legitimate case?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 3, 2017

If the letter is from CMS then it should have a notice about a right to assert a waiver of overpayment. Your friend needs to contact the local Legal Services office.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Small Claims and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: What can I do if my mother and law used my wife's social security # to open a credit account without permission?

She went over the balance by $100 for a total of $3100 and has stopped paying on it and it showed upon my wife's credit report.

David Humphreys
David Humphreys answered on Oct 11, 2017

you need to dispute the false credit reporting directly with the credit reporting agencies and the credit card company.

You can go to our law firm website and click on the link Credit Reporting Errors for detailed and specific instructions on what the letter that your wife will need to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Missouri on
Q: Would I qualify for social security disability?

I had cervical disc fusion C3 - C7 through the back of my neck 6 years ago. I have chronic pain and remaining nerve root impingement. I have worked for the same company in customer service for19 years but the pain has become too severe. I am 57 years old.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 20, 2016

Quite likely. You will need an opinion letter from your orthopedist or neurologist. Depending on if you have a pension and how it vests you need to be sure you know if 20 years is the magic number and the date. You don't want to quit a few weeks before and lose benefits. Understand that to get... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Health Care Law and Public Benefits for Missouri on
Q: my wife is on disability social security but why does she have to wait 18 mths to get medicare ins
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 4, 2016

A weirdness in the law that no Congress has bothered to cure. If you think it stinks, join those advocating for a change. In the meantime, she should be eligible for

medical assistance.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Personal Injury and Social Security for Missouri on
Q: Can as disability or pension be garnished from a law suit against me

I'm being sued for an accident I need to know if they can garnish my ss disability or my pension can't afford a lawyer

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 1, 2016

If it's a car accident your insurance would handle it. If it's something else it's worth your paying a laywer if needbe for a consultation. Normally people don't get sued if they have no money--it's the insurance people are looking for.

To answer your question, if...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Missouri on
Q: How much can a disability attorney retain once a social security disability claim has been approved?
Cheryl F Coon
Cheryl F Coon answered on Jun 5, 2015

Fortunately for social Security disability clients, the law is very clear. Unless you and your lawyer agree to a different fee, your lawyer is limited to 25% of past-due benefits, with a cap of $6000. However, your lawyer does not "retain" this amount, as he or she never receives your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Missouri on
Q: If my husband died and I can't pay a credit card can the credit card take the money from my social security check?
Eva Clement
Eva Clement answered on Nov 6, 2013

No. In order for you to have a garnishment taken from your Social Security check they must have a court order against you. The court will not grant this type of order for credit card debt for a deceased person.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Missouri on
Q: Social Security - Married 23 years. Divorced 03, he died 04. I Would like to collect those benefits.

When I applied for my own Social Security last month, they told me I could have been collecting my husband's payments since I turned 60 in Feb 2009. Why wasn't I notified? If I deserved these payments, now that I am aware, why can I not get this money? They say sorry no way will they... Read more »

Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus answered on Feb 19, 2012

You are eligible for your spouse's survivorship benefits if you are 60 or older. Or, if you are between 50 and 60, you can apply for widow's disability benefits if you are also disabled.

This is meant to be general information and is not legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.