Greenbrier, AR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: Can a mother deny father visitation if they were never married and there is no court agreement? Assq

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Geoffrey D. Kearney
Geoffrey D. Kearney
  • Pine Bluff, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Possibly. Outside of the parents being married when the child is born or going to court, paternity can also be established by signing an Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity, which is generally made available at the hospital when the child is born. If paternity has not been established by any other manner, the father is likely to be considered a legal stranger who has no rights to the child. Filing a paternity action is a common way for fathers to deal with this sort of problem, as it is a way to establish a legal relationship with their children and have a visitation arrangement put in place. Consider contacting a family law attorney about your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.