Philadelphia, PA asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: My son is 23 I am still paying child support for him cause his mom is playing the disabled card

My sone needs a liver but he can do everything on his own he can walk fine feed himself go to gym even plays video games and goes to the mall alone and has had jobs his mother uses him as a meal ticket I do owe back support I got behind cause I can’t offord it I pay less for my teen girls than the 23 year old she had showed nothing to show he could not do anything on his own it’s all word of mouth

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Under the law in New Jersey, a child is presumed emancipated at age18 / graduation from high school. If the child goes on to college / trade school following his graduation from high school, emancipation can be deferred but not past age 23, except if he is disabled, but the definition of disability for emancipation is much narrower and the burden is placed on your ex to prove that he is incapable of employment. If your son graduated from high school and is able to drive a car, go to the gym, etc, it sounds like his disability should not prevent the court from adjudicating him emancipated, but this is not an application to file on your own. If you screw it up, your ability to then go back to the court at a later date with the same information ( with or without a lawyer) will be unsuccessful. If you have 1 shot, do it right.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.