Harvest, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: Will an immigration attorney work on a contingency basis?

We received, Request for Evidence (Form I-485) from USCIS.

My wife was just offered a job, making over $100,000 a year including signing bonus, contract ready to be signed.

But does not have an Authorization for Employment' approval.

My wife is very worried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We would be willing to pay an attorney on a contingent basis to handle our case, understanding our financial situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: A contingency fee agreement is a form of billing that allows for an attorney to be paid a percentage of the damages awarded at the end of the case instead of an hourly rate. In contingency arrangements, the attorney agrees to take on the case without charging their regular hourly fees. This is usually appropriate in personal injury matters or other cases where the attorney is representing you for the purpose of seeking a financial award on your behalf. However, this could not be used in divorce cases, criminal cases, defense cases or any other matter that does not involve recovery of money such as an immigration case. It sounds like you want an attorney to help you without an upfront payment but rather a payment once your wife is able to work. An attorney is technically allowed to do that but you will have to call around to find an attorney who is willing to do that. Best wishes!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.