Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Kentucky

Q: Can I adopt stepsons without their biological mothers consent? What are the steps we need to take to do this?

I have been raising my step sons for the last 9 years, they are 15 and a set of 12 yr old triplets, they have been asking for me to adopt them so that i can be their "real" mom. My husband has full custody of them. Their biological mother is supposed to have supervised visitations and pay child support, but she has never attempted to pay child support or sign up for the parenting classes or drug tests to be able to do the visits. In the last 9 years she has seen them once (6 years ago) when she showed up to a Christmas party they were at. She has not even called or tried to contact them in any way. We are not sure where she is and her family doesn't know how to contact her either. Will I be able to adopt them without her consent and how do we get started with this process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You have to file an involuntary petition to terminate the parental rights and adopt the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.