Long Branch, NJ asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: I pay child support for twins in MD. Already 18, graduating in June. Do I just stop paying or also need to go to court?

Do I need to go to court or do anything else, other then just stop paying? Also, in case that matters, I have been sending the child support payments, as opposed to it being deducted from my pay...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You just stop paying. No court order is required. Support is due through completion of the requirements for graduation, not the graduation ceremony itself. Therefore, if they have met all requirements (completed school) by the end of May, and are out of school until the graduation ceremony in June, your last child support payment due is for the month of May.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.