Albuquerque, NM asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for New Mexico

Q: Non-citizen couple have SSNs by temporary work in US. Can they continue filing taxes from abroad without any US income?

A non-citizen (no green cards either) couple have 4 children born in US and parents have SSNs because both spouses had temporary work authorizations during their stay in the US. How can the couple claim their child tax credit when they are not in the US any more? A US based income or permanent residency status (green card), the conditions that could have created a tax filing requirement (or at least a filing option) are not available. Is there anyway, we can still get the refundable portion of child tax credit for our four children even when we are in our own country, and outside of the US?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: This is more of a question for a Certified Public Accountant than an Immigration attorney. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.