Lutcher, LA asked in Collections for Louisiana

Q: I have been sued for medical loan and was served but not personally. A family member received it. How do I respond?

Medical loan from out of state bank in New York. Do I admit or deny?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you fail to respond timely, then the creditor will seek a default judgment against you so please make sure you handle this timely. If you have the resources, I would contact an attorney in your area---collections or general practice---and discuss this matter with them, obtain your options and then decide how to proceed, but remember, you have a short period of time (perhaps as few as 10 days) in which to respond to the lawsuit. Another reason to consult with an attorney is because the attorney may be able to identify procedural deficiencies in the creditor's lawsuit, which could be to your benefit. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.